The PEAR Sports app requires GPS from your phone in order to gauge distance during a workout. The app cannot measure distance using a foot pod or pedometer.
With an Android device, you can turn on this option by going to your Settings and turning Location Services on.
With an iPhone, navigate to your phone's settings, select Privacy, and turn Location Services on. Scroll down to find PEAR listed, and make sure this is turned on.
Note: While running a workout, you can see how strong your GPS signal is by checking the bars shown in the Workout Screen. More bars means the GPS is stronger.
Entering Distance Manually
When doing an indoor workout (treadmill, elliptical or on a track) you have the ability to manually enter the distance prior to saving the workout.
Follow these steps to manually adjust the distance of a workout:
1. View the Workout Summary upon stopping the workout. Before you tap 'Save,' select the pencil icon and use the roller dial to adjust to the total miles.
2. Tap 'Save' to save the results. You'll notice that your total distance and pace have updated accordingly.
Remember you must enter the distance data before you save the workout.
Turning off GPS
If you are working out indoors (running, weight, cycling, etc.), you can turn the GPS off prior to starting a workout. Here's how:
1. Select the GPS icon in the lower left hand corner.
2. If you have already started your workout, press that same GPS icon in the lower right hand corner.
3. You will see the message, "Do you want to disable location tracking?" Press "yes."
By turning off the GPS services you will be saving battery as your phone will not be searching. You will also have no map shown in your history.
Note: The GPS services are activated anytime the app is re-launched.